Friday, April 30, 2010

Guest blog: Phishing and literary scams




A few days ago, I received a message that I thought came from my bank’s security department. The email asked me to verify my account information so that my service would not be interrupted. It provided a link which I could click to enter a few details.

The return email address seemed like my bank’s. I looked closely at the logo in the email, and it was identical to my bank’s.

That led me to write a post on five things phishing and literary scams have in common. Writer, editor and scamhunter Jane Smith is kindly hosting it on her blog, How Publishing Really Works. Thanks so much for all your support, Jane! And be sure to check out the post to see if I got "phished".

http://thumb15.shutterstock.com/thumb_small/73007/73007,1174817158,1/stock-photo-high-resolution-image-of-a-normal-goldfish-isolated-on-white-2942994.jpg

4 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

Great post!

Marian Perera said...

Thanks, Angela! :)

Hazardgal said...

Scary isn't it? Glad you outsmarted the punks. Just to let you know I am giving away a signed copy of my book, The Holler, on my blog. Think about it!

Marian Perera said...

I must check that out, Marge. Thanks for letting me know!